3-D Printing Emulation Fabrication Hardware Modification Multimedia Software

Pimp my cade: Teenage Mutant Ninja Pinto

I am but a drop of water in an ocean full of Arcade1Up modders. Here, I tell the tale of journeying down the rabbit hole.

This article is still a work in progress. I’m releasing it mostly-baked, because it will help several people that have received their parts orders, and saves me the time of repeating myself via e-mail, text message, and Reddit. When I feel that this article is complete, this notice will be removed.

Dude, just build a cabinet lol.

You’ve put really expensive wheels on a pinto.


I was going to write an incredibly long article about my project, Teenage Mutant Ninja Terminals that covered all of the steps in one fell swoop, but found myself trading so many notes with my friends Jon and Amir, as well as dialogue on Reddit about using stock speakers without an external amplifier (videosolution) and coin insert buttons (videosolution), that I’ve decided to split this project up into a series of multiple articles. This article covers the initial steps, including a B.O.M. for getting started with a stock Arcade1Up Generation 3 cabinet (in my case, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) as well as all of the modifications that I have made (and am continuing to make).

Boo, Amir, boo!

I already knew what I was jumping into well beforehand.


Even as a separate article, this one spans several pages. You’ll probably find yourself returning to this article multiple times, and I’ve tried to organize the pages into goals so that it’s easier to pause and resume since this is such an involved project:

  1. Tools needed
  2. Somebody set up us the B.O.M.
  3. Video input
  4. Audio output
  5. Operating System
  6. Coin insert interrupts
  7. Coin insert hotkeys
  8. Control deck assembly
  9. Control deck configuration
  10. LED configuration
  11. Conclusion

For the most part, I’ve only gotten to work on the modifications for this machine over the weekends, and usually on Friday and Saturday night for a few hours. It took me much longer than if you were to sit down for a few days to do this. Combined with the 4–6 hours each weekend that I’ve put into this, plus the hours of research and correspondence with others, I’m now coming on two months where the first milestone of this project is almost complete.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *